Mediation Role-Play Practicum
KIPCOR is one of only four institutions in Kansas approved by the Office of Judicial Administration to offer a mediation role-play practicum. The Mediation Role-Play Practicum is offered in Core, Parent-Adolescent and Domestic mediation.
The Mediation Role-Play Practicum provides:
- Life-like role-plays
- Review and orientation for each "session"
- Role-play feedback
- Practice using individual (caucus) and joint sessions for problem solving
- Agreement-writing practice and review
- Mentoring in all aspects of the mediation process and the profession
- Comprehensive assessment of each student's readiness to practice mediation
- Trained role-players who receive a stipend and orientation for their function in the practicum
- Schedules arranged to fit the needs of the practicum student
Practicum Structure and Fees
- Core: Each role-play session in the Core Mediation Practicum takes approximately 2 hours to complete, plus additional homework (including practice writing mediated agreements). Contact KIPCOR for current fees.
- Domestic: Each role-play session in the Domestic Mediation Practicum takes a minimum of 4 hours, plus additional homework (including practice writing mediated agreements). Contact KIPCOR for current fees.
- "Each encounter with the role-play participants felt like a meeting with real clients, as the participants created realistic situations and personas, and I was left feeling more confident about the mediation process and my ability to interact with clients on my own."
- Jamie Smartt, 2010 Practicum Graduate
- "With flexible scheduling, I was able to continue working in a full-time capacity while completing the required role-plays and receiving individualized attention from KIPCOR staff."
- Janell Murphey, 2011 Practicum Graduate
- "The mentor made me feel that my goal of becoming a mediator was attainable and she was going to do everything she could to help me. The critique given after each mediation role-play was invaluable as a growing and learning process."
- Linda Childres, 2010 Practicum Graduate